Nutrifirst was the brainchild of Barnabas Huang, who started out buying over a small health supplement business. He leveraged on e-commerce to turn the business around, and the company is now worth millions of dollars.
Nutrifirst has an inventory of over 800 choices of supplements, health foods, equipment and accessories. Besides protein powders, protein bars and weight loss supplements, Nutrifirst also carries products such as gym gloves and wrist wraps.
Some of the well-known international brands Nutrifirst carry are:
- Muscle Pharm – A household name in sports supplements, it was founded in 2010 by ex- NFL player Brad Pyatt. It was a big sponsor of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and still sponsors many of their athletes. It also sponsors NFL players, and has a contract with ex actor/bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger for a line of products.
- Universal Nutrition – Universal has been a leading manufacturer of nutritional supplements since the late 70s. They are known for body building supplements both from their main Universal brand and the ‘Animal Pak’ brand. The product range consists of mainly mass gainers and protein powders.
- Optimum Nutrition – Optimum Nutrition (ON) was founded in 1986 by brothers Tony and Michael Costello. They targeted the sports nutrition industry and hence, Optimum Nutrition was created. After 22 years of business, the Costellos sold the company to Glanbia group in 2008. ON specialises in whey protein, amino acids, weight gainers, creatine and fish oil softgels.
- Gorilla wear– Gorilla Wear is a leading bodybuilding apparel company that provides tops, shorts and gym equipment for bodybuilders. Nutrifirst carries some of their products, including shirts, shorts and other accessories.
Originally, Nutrifirst ware house was at Paya Lebar, but it moved to a larger location at Kaki Bukit. They provide delivery in Singapore – a fee of $10 for orders that total to $30 and below, $5 fee for orders $31- $99 and free delivery for orders above $100.
Nutrifirst also provide 3 different tiers of membership (registration for membership is free):
- Silver membership – A customer needs to purchase S$2,000 worth of products to be a member. Silver members get 2% discount on purchases.
- Gold membership – A customer needs to purchase S$5,000 worth of products to be a member. Silver members get 5% discount on purchases.
- Platinum membership – A customer needs to purchase S$10,000 worth of products to be a member. Silver members get 10% discount on purchases.